Sunday, March 22, 2009

Animal Rights: Campaigns against Dog Fighting?

The following post is from YouthNoise Play City—a community dedicated to changing the world through sports and play. PLAY ON!

To be honest
...
Have you ever been at a house party, a restaurant with family, at work, or even at school during a break and someone brings up a political issue--or any other issue for that matter--that completely flies over your head? Well I gotta admit, although I'm committed to bringing positive change to the communities I've grown up in and to the world at large, I've never really given much thought to animal rights. I believe that some of my dearest family members have been cats and dogs (below are examples), but I've never considered some of the animal rights issues and animal abuses brought up on YN this week ... until now.








Tootsie lounging around the house, after using my laptop.


Big Head outside, trying to stay dry.
DOG'S Best Friend?
In response to the post about dog fighting and toys that glamourize violence, I think the toys pictured are similar to other homies toys we've seen in the past--they're not typical of Latino culture, but some people in Latino communities look like this, and live like this. Now, my personal opinion is that even "homies" know how to love their dogs, and that the majority of the people that would buy these toys/collectibles probably just aspire to some image of Machismo--and really don't fight their dogs. I'm not naive though, I'm sure a select few exist.

The image of "homies" fighting their dogs maintains and supports Latino stereotypes. At first glance, I would assume that the toymaker did not create a doll of some white college student in a letterman sweater with a name like Stewart fighting his pit bull. Then again, and I'm no economist, that 'market' probably wouldn't buy such collectibles. Though I'd bet such a subsector of society is guilty of dog fighting and Machismo just the same.


Kiki Luv, aunt and uncle's dog.

(Sadly enough, I bet if it was a Vick doll in a Falcon's jersey fighting his dog, the demand--and simultaneous outrage--would open up substantially across racial, class, and age divides ... but that's a whole other post altogether).

Lots of Questions, Few Answers. Please SPEAK UP!

1) How might a campaign use artistic imagery to speak out against animal abuse and dog fighting more specifically? What toys might be used?

2) Anyone know of an existing campaign against dog fighting or other animal fighting that uses creative messaging?

3) Should the toymakers of such dolls be held responsible for promoting animal abuse? If so, how? If not, why?

4) I don't like dog fighting, but it's okay to buy the toys, right?

Layla, 6 year old "Rot", rescued and adopted by a friend.


Find this post and many others at Youth Noise Play City:
http://www.youthnoise.com/playcity/blog

No comments: