Friday, June 19, 2009

Skating in LA: An Interview at Pedlow Skatepark

I'm really stoked about YN's skate week. The whole week I've had the chance to visit different skateparks and meet a variety of skaters. Young skaters, ex-skaters, big ones, crazy ones, parents of skaters, and older skaters. It's been a blast!

Andrews catching some air.

Take one dude I met recently, Andrew Andrews. He's this older cat from the valley whose been skating for over 15 years now. I've always pictured skaters as these young agile kids with long hair. So imagine my surprise when I meet Andrew -- older guy, agile then most people half his age, short hair, and just a regular looking dude, similar to Hal in my previous post on falling and skating safely.

"SKATE OR DIE!"
But Andrew is not your regular skater. He's been skating for years and will probably be skating long after this post is written 'cause the guy defies age as much as he does gravity. Just look at his pics. And don't forget to check out the video too.

Some pools are meant for flying.

Andrews' is the kinda guy you meet and find out he's skated with pro skaters, back when they weren't even pros. Imagine the wealth of skate experience this guy's got! Like a wikipedia page, he broke down some basic skate stuff for me on style, talked a bit of skate history, and added fuel to my burning anticipation for the opening of the new P-Rod Skatepark by demonstrating some awesome air time. Check out the video for more.

Now I've seen what's capable at Pedlow skatepark. And I can't wait to see some crazy moves and skills that rock the senses at the new P-Rod skatepark.
Come out! Get your Jam on! Let's see your style!



No comments: