Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pico Union Toy Drive

Toys
I attended a toy drive at Alvarado Terrace Park in
Pico Union to mingle with parents and to outreach for our upcoming community workshops.


And then before I knew it, work became fun again. I remembered the joys of Christmas giving as I watched Santa and Mrs. Claus give toys to local children, posing for pictures with them before the kids were whisked away from the inner courts of the tent.

I walked through the toy drive and found a girl--maybe 7 years old--kicking ass in a pickup soccer game. Some toddlers danced around their new remote control car, waving their cheeto-orange fingers to the sky, stomping their feet in reverence to their newfound joy.

And I became a kid again as I watched all these kids receive a piece of Christmas just three days before the main event. I mean c'mon, there were toys, a pony ride, a petting zoo, and a big ass turtle! Merry Christmas!



No comments: