Thursday, February 14, 2008

Black History Month: A Salute to my Brothers and Sisters

I was a little disappointed in myself for not writing a birthday post on MLK back in January. But then I realized that it's Black History Month and a bigger tribute to King is to discuss how numerous African and African-Americans (Blacks for brevity) have continually impacted my life throughout.

Spirituality

Hands down the spiritual history of Black culture influences my outlook and approach to life the most. The power of Black spirituality is that it constantly emerges from the shadows of despair found in Black culture and history and serves as a timeless beacon of light.


It's profound how Black spirituality combines with rhythmic, soulful song and lyric, often accompanying a joyous fellowship (making the joy of fellowship all the more fierce in the purest way as it erupts from an internal and communal pain that soothes and heals old and current wounds). The foundation of Black spirituality includes a strong connection to community and an interpersonal forte, the ability and desire to share and contribute to center stage or behind the scenes, and--perhaps most importantly--the recognition and appreciation that faith, hope, and Love for a higher being outside ourselves is necessary for both our survival and our sanity. I believe spirituality is a bedrock of Black culture and history because it's that side of our human nature that cannot be easily ripped away from us by those that oppress us, and Black peoples know very well (and sense and feel) what I would call a powerfully creative humility and solidarity necessary for survival.

Politics
An extension of genuine spirituality is politics--though politics does not naturally extend to genuine spirituality. Just think how often a leader or star of a local Black community rises to the national scene. Having rich foundations in various spiritual and religious thought, many Black leaders or stars often have the ability to share with the masses a morality, ethics, and public policy grounded in a deep spirituality that connects the relevant Black cultural and historical concepts of hope, zeal, passion, struggle, and Love. And I believe this spiritual power can transcend various divides. Think of all the various Chicano or Latino national faces--although most of them are in entertainment primarily--and then think how few of them are also spiritual leaders for a community or even openly embrace religion or spirituality. I say this because I think there are a number of examples of Black political triumph and I think sustained political struggle requires a certain level of personal and communal commitment to spirituality--and I believe Africans and African Americans know this all too well.

The Arts
Finally, Black comedy, music, cinema, and literature have all nurtured my soul and crafted a peculiar and unique desire to share my stories with others. Being on the margins, enduring suffering and trying to be victoriously joyful in the process begins for me in the Black arts because that process is so evident in Black culture--and often shines through in their arts. From musical greats to comedic giants, from powerfully riveting actors and actresses to soulful literature, I am continually cast and re-cast by the creative prowess of Blacks in the arts.
















A Special Note:

So it may seem that I am giving too much control for race--haven't there been a number of White, Asian, Latino, Middle-Eastern greats that have contributed to my growth? The answer is a resounding yes! Though no other group has moved me and connected to that deeper spiritual realm that I might call my soul. To think about the exhausted contributions Black artists and their arts have made to my life puts a smile on my face and ushers in a world and lifetime of memories: Movies like Love Jones, Car Wash, Friday, Jackie Brown, Boyz N the Hood, White Men Can't Jump, House Party, Coming to America; Literature like The Color Purple, The Bluest Eye, A Raisin in the Sun; Artists and Actors like Robert Townsend, The Wayans family, Denzel Washington, Whoopi Goldberg, James Brown, Beyonce, Morgan Freeman, Aretha Franklin, Tupac Shakur, Lauryn Hill, Jamie Foxx, Sam Jackson, Queen Latifah, Marvin Gaye, Lou Rawls, Sade, Will Smith, James Earl Jones, Nia Long, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Alicia Keyes, Billie Holiday, Stevie Wonder, Bill Cosby, Angela Bassett, Dave Chappelle, Duke Ellington, Jimi Hendrix, Jill Scott, and the list goes and on and on AND ON ...

So in the Spirit of MLK, I salute all of humanity and am thankful to the Lord for all of the beauty that my Black brothers and sisters have provided the world.

No comments: