Saturday, February 16, 2008

Murals in Los Angeles: A New Way to think about Graffiti in LA?

I'd like to be clear that I'm a big proponent of art and only in some cases graffiti--I hear it's used as a deterrent to other forms of gang-affiliated graffiti. And since it exists as an outlet for many of LA's youths, and there's not much I can do about it in the interim, I figure I'll document it. Maybe one day, the government will increase funding for arts programs in impoverished cities and maybe--just maybe--the simple act of documenting a lot of the work found around Los Angeles will increase support for those that think, express, and act through art.

I found the following piece in the West Adams area of Los Angeles:




These pieces are located off the 10 freeway near the Los Angeles St. exit:





This piece is located on Normandie near Hollywood Blvd.

1 comment:

Nicole Esther Daghighian said...

i think LA isnt LA without all of the tagging and stuff
at it looks much better when they are in really pretty peices, and many times big murals state many different things. i hate it when random people hit up big murals, it looks horrible on them and shows how low they are
murals are the best and nice peices
im not the biggest fan of hit ups on busses and trashcans because then it makes the tagger and bus window look icky