Monday, February 4, 2008

"Knowledge is Power" -- Art in LA

My recent serendipitous encounter with some graffiti in LA (at least to me) got me thinking about all the walls in LA that have some artwork on them. Imagine how many pieces I've yet to find! So, I figured I'll start sharing these views with you.

"KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"



It seems the Pico Union Housing Corporation (PUHC) had something to do with the creation of this piece (notice the board in the student's left hand). PUHC serves the area by creating and offering affordable housing, providing various skill building opportunities, and offering diverse youth programs.




It's an interesting experience to walk through Pico Union. This type of artwork is only a small part of the large cultural community of the area, not to mention its history.





I really like the can in this piece because it speaks about how we create LA through knowledge and by extension art. This spray can with LA's backdrop as its label may not be a colorful statement with extensive detail but it still caught my eye.



No comments: